When does menopause happen?
Usually, women experience the cessation of their periods, between the ages of 45 and 50. In some cases, it can happen at age 40, or even 38. In this case, it is called premature menopause, and it happens for certain reasons. Menopause can also happen due to surgical interventions, such as hysterectomy, and removal of the ovaries.
This difficult period happens a few months or a few years before the actual menopause. The following symptoms are usually reported during perimenopause:
– Start of hot flashes.
– Mood swings.
– Hot flashes, are the most annoying symptom of menopause. Where women feel suddenly overheated.
– Mood swings.
– Muscle atrophy.
– Vaginal dryness.
– Weight gain.
– Low sex drive, and distancing from the husband, due to hormonal and psychological changes.
– The most common symptom of this stage is a negative self-image and a lack of self-acceptance, and the acceptance of all the physical changes.
It is noteworthy, that the husband’s role in helping her accept these changes, is important to restore her positive self-image. And it will help reinstall her self-confidence, self-acceptance, and acceptance of all the occurring changes.
How to make menopause a positive experience
– Low sex drive is one of the major changes that women experience during menopause. In addition to focusing more on their children and grandchildren and neglecting their marriage. While there is no correlation between the cessation of periods and sexual intercourse. Hence the importance of making women aware of this issue and introducing them to aids that will help them to have sex without pain such as vaginal lubricants.
– Weight gain and muscle atrophy cause major changes in body shape. This leads to frustration and a lack of acceptance of these changes. Therefore, women need to work out and follow a healthy diet to avoid excessive weight gain, and to continue building muscles. Exercise has a direct positive impact on mental health and mood swings.
– It is essential to keep taking supplements such as vitamins C, and D.
– Women must also avoid smoking, drinking, excessive caffeine consumption, and spicy, and sugary foods. These elements worsen the symptoms of menopause.
– Consuming foods rich in Phytoestrogens such as soy, pumpkin seeds, nuts, legumes, and sesame. Is a great alternative to hormone replacement therapies.
– It is very important to consume enough proteins, reduce carbohydrates consumption and drink plenty of water, to reduce the severity of the symptoms and cruise through menopause stress-free.
Unless there is a clear medical necessity, hormonal replacement therapy doesn’t usually help with easing menopause symptoms. On the contrary, it might cause more harm than good.
Is it the end? Or the beginning?
Dear women, at this age your children are now independent grown-ups. You have reached an advanced level in your career. It is time for you to enjoy freedom, without being tied to family obligations, or career demands. Menopause is the beginning of a great stage in your life, full of freedom and action. Accept your changing body and enjoy this new life. Seek advice from your midwife, or OBGYN to get the guidance and help you need.